Wednesday, January 1, 2014

windows/linux/osx,intel/amd,desktop/laptop/pad

I am interested in different platforms. Thus, I spent a day on googleing related information. In order not to waste such time, I decide to write these down.

windows/linux/osx

windows is best optimized on the same hardwares.

I can finish all the same tasks on those OS. They are transparent in terms of software to me. So I am more interesting hardware optimizations, especially on graphics. I thought osx has some magic on optimizations so that they can be overpriced. But, I can not find any evidence to support my hypothesis. In stead, main stream games are optimized for windows at the first place. Although osx versions may catch up years later, they will not do better. Based on my own experience, my windows works smoother than my linux on the same laptop. Even on science computation, windows versions are a little faster, at least no worse. So far, I would say, windows are optimized best, based on the hardwares(based on hackintosh or the same level mac).

intel/amd

amd is never a good solution on desktops, for price, power consuming, or performance. Maybe it is good for laptop in terms of price.

I have no amd chips to test, so all the following comparisons are from google. Cpu of amd seems really sucks nowadays.A saying is that, A10 can only reach i3 for daily use. GPU is better, maybe A10 can match 630. As a result, A10 ($130 bundle) seems a better solution than i3 ($180 bundle) + 630. However, i3+630 level is not for gamers. I would like go i5/i7($250 bundle) + 650ti ($130) at least. A10 can crossfire with 6xxx cards. Higher level cards work better standalone. Also A10 is said to consume more power.

For laptops, the story is a little difference.If you focus on battery life, go macbooks. Nothing can bit them so far. If you pursuit performance, you will get a big box, as heavy as a desktop, with twice of its prices. Neither of them is my target. I am think about a cheap laptop which can handle basic games like WoW. CPU is never my bottle neck. core 2 duo can handle such games without any problems.We assume A10 = i3 + 630m in laptops. A laptop with 630m or above will cost $700 usually and will not consume any less power. A10 ones might cost $400. Also, the coming Kaveri A10 will have unified memory for GPU and CPU, which will benefit GPU computing. If you have a tight budget, A10 laptop may be good choice.

desktop/laptop/pad

powerful desktop + light laptop/pad

Desktops are much powerful than laptops. It is proved by data and my feeling. You will pay a lot to make the performance of a laptop to match that of a desktop. Even if you match the performance, you probably get a large, heavy, and hot laptop, and you need pay more to improve the mobility. My ideal solution is, getting a powerful desktop (if I really need one), and carrying a very light laptop, like yoga2 or air, or even a pad with bluetooth keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment