Tuesday, May 15, 2012

blender game engine and unity 3D

Blender and unity 3D are 2 game engines I am playing with. It is unfair to compare these two as one is open source and the other is commercial. I just wanna talk about how I feel.

BGE is great and handy. It is very intuitive. There is not any problem to develop a game with BGE. There is a quite wonderful game on it, http://www.yofrankie.org/. With gamekit, ,https://code.google.com/p/gamekit/, you can export your blender game to android and iphone. I have tested. It works. Audio on android is not supported yet. Maybe, iphone either. The whole pipeline is clear here. Modeling + game logic = game. The only concern is performance. Correct me if I am wrong. I feel BGE is not optimized enough. I felt a little laggy while playing mono example from gamekit on my i5 laptop, and more laggy on my moto xoom. I would like remain blender as mainly a modeling and animation tool.

unity 3D is a more professional game engine. Everything is ready for game dev. In terms of UI, I do not think there could any major pros or cons. Both BGE and unity and do good job. Like different programming language, it depends on which is more convenient for u. I guess unity 3D is more optimized on performance as an commercial software which is pricing thousand dollars on its pro version. The angrybot example can run smoothly on my phones and tablet.

In stead of comparing them, I would like to combine them. I use blender for modeling as I am used to blender way while publish games with unity 3D because of its performance and cross-platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment